Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Butterflies and Butterfly Art! 3 V 20

Dear Room 222,

Today is Day 82 of our stay-at-home time. Keep reading to see the FIRST two butterflies that came out of the chrysalids, some cool facts and an activity to make butterfly art.

TWO BUTTERFLIES ARE HERE!
















The first two butterflies have come out of their chrysalids! I had a difficult time photographing them, but I hope you can see them!

Take a good look at the photos and send me your questions about the butterflies. I will answer them on the blog soon.

Here are the answers to some of your other questions:

* Caterpillars can only see light and dark so it is very hard for them to see if a bird is coming to eat them.
* In the chrysalis, the caterpillars turn into "caterpillar soup" a liquid that then reforms into the butterfly.
* Caterpillars eat and eat and eat until their skin or exoskeleton splits and it molts.
* Painted Lady caterpillars live for about 8 to 10 days before they turn into a chrysalis. The adult Painted Lady butterflies can live for one year.
* Adult Painted Lady butterflies lay about 100 to 300 eggs.
* The butterfly lays eggs on its favourite food so that the baby caterpillars have food to eat when they hatch or come out of the egg.
* Butterflies are able to walk upside down because their feet are "sticky" and have tiny hooks on them.
* Most caterpillars are herbivores (eat plants) but some are carnivores (eat other animals). Scientists think that it has to do with what kind of food is available to the caterpillars,

BUTTERFLY ART!
















The Canadian artist Raku Inoue makes butterflies and other insects using leaves, twigs and petals from flowers. Above you can see nine of his butterfly creations. They are SO beautiful!

If you want to make art like Raku Inoue, gather some leaves and twigs and start creating!

I live in a building, so I went on my balcony and picked some leaves and flowers. I know a butterfly has a body in the middle and it is symmetrical (same on both sides). Here is what I did:




















 This art was a lot of fun! If you try it, please email me some photos. I would love to see them!

No comments: